The 12.5 Rules of Writing You Will Ever Need
- If you write every day, you get better at writing every day.
- If it is boring for you, it is boring for your reader.
- Get a writing routine, and stick to it.
- Poetry does NOT have to rhyme. Poetry does not NOT have to rhyme.
- Resist stereotypes, in real life and in your writing.
- Writers read. Writers read a lot. Writers read all the time.
- Make lists of your favourite words and books and places and things.
- There doesn’t always have to be a moral to the story.
- Always bring your notebook. Always bring a spare pen.
- Go for walks. Dance. Pull weeds. Do the dishes. Write about it.
- Don’t settle on just one style. Try something new!
- Learn to tell both sides of the story.
12½. Stop reading all this. Write something!